1. How did you get started in the industry?
I’ve been fishing since before I was born but did not work in seafood until 2013. I needed ten years of unfulfilling office jobs before realising that I could turn a passion into an income.
2. Why do you do what you do?
Because there are so many misconceptions around seafood and so many unfounded concerns that people have that may hinder their ability to enjoy real seafood. I’m able to correct them and help create a newfound enthusiasm and confidence for buying and cooking seafood.
3. What is your first seafood or fishing memory?
Hooking a giant stingray at the Narooma jetty- being connected to such a powerful animal, if only briefly, was more than enough so hook me for life.
4. What does your average day look like?
Up at 5(ish), straight to SFM, coffee, host a Behind the Scenes tour of the auction, more coffee, our new Brunch tour at 10, then admin until home time. But every other day there’s something new, a group from overseas filming on site, putting on a lunch for media, helping the tuna boats unload their catch. It is rarely boring.
5. What is your favourite part of the day?
Seeing the auction.
6. What’s one thing people would not know about your day?
Sometimes I read the catch-up articles summarising what happened on reality TV shows so I can sound relevant to young people (without having to actually watch the show).
7. Where do you see the industry going in the future?
People finally utilising the many thousands of edible species that we have in this country and stop commercially depending on a tiny percentage of what is available to us on our own doorstep.
8. What’s a common misconception you encounter about seafood?
That all the seafood in a shop was caught that day, and if it wasn’t, it’s not fresh. Good fish has been rested for 72 hours prior to cooking and good tuna is a week old.
9. What are the 3 main qualities people should look for in seafood they purchase?
Lustre. Fullness. Sea smell.
To book a Sydney Fish Market tour with Alex, go to : http://www.sydneyfishmarket.com.au/at-the-market/tours